The Folded Join


.. or ... How to Avoid a Twisted Picot

A proper join made at a picot should show two parallel thread of the picot and not twisted like an 'X'.
The twisted picot can be avoided by way of making what is sometimes called a Folded Join. I hope the few steps shown below will be able to explain how to make the folded join to avoid the twisted picot.


When you have reached the point to make the join, turn over the piece so that the reverse side is now facing up and the first ring is now on the left side. The picot is now in the correct position to make a join, but we are not there yet!

Fold part of the work over so that the front side of the first ring is facing up. Bring the picot to be joined close to the core thread of the ring being worked. Make a join through this picot as usual.
Straighten out the last ring so that it is in the correct position and slowly close the ring. You have now completed making a join and avoiding a twisted picot.



Below are a few more pictorial examples of making a folded join.

The last ring in the clover is to be joined to the first ring of the first clover on the right.
The motif is turned over.
The motif is folded over to bring the picot to be joined to the correct position for making the join.
The motif with the join made

Comments

  1. Thank you for this tutorial. Great pictures and description's. I just finished a cat pattern (on my blog) and when I attached it's head to the body I now have a twisted picot. Actually, I think it's double twisted. LOL I didn't turn the whole piece over, I just turned over the ring that I was to make the join to. I am anxious to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something new here, Jon!- I have never done it this way, but have folded the motif over from the frontside, and used the crochet hook to make a "twist" which then straightens up when you are finally finished.
    Looks much easier this way, thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, just visited your blog. I see what you mean about the cat's head. I hope you'll get it right the next time.

    Maureen, I have seen instruction where you make the twist in the picot with crochet hook, but I never seem to know which way to twist it before making the join. By this method I can make the join like the normal straightforward join.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful information, Jon! I've scheduled a link to this post to go live on my blog tomorrow morning (Central USA time). I hope it brings you a few extra visitors.

    Denise
    http://needlework.craftgossip.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. My joining technique has been a hit and miss effort but after this lesson I should have only hits.
    Like Denise I have left a link back to here, on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this tutorial!!

    Maria del Valle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jon. I had been folding without turning the work over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing it so clearly. I am a very new tatter and every little bit of information helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for this clear n clean instructions. It was really helpful for me, a beginner .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! This is wonderful- the pictures are so clear- I was having trouble with my last join and your tips solved my problem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been tatting since 1993 so for 20 years. I have given myself the challenge to write down "how to tat". I have discovered that I know all that you know, and I have taught many people to tat I just don't know how to explain it in writing. You do such a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas Gracias por tu tutorial!!! Es muy practico y clarísimo! realmente me ayudo mucho mas que un video!! De esta manera ya podre terminar prolijamente mi trabajo.... Thank you very much!

      Delete
  12. Thankyou, a method for an untwisted picot, that lets me do a down join, without getting in a complete tangle ! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! I've tried so many times, unsuccessfully, that I almost gave up. Finally I found your tutorial and something "clicked" and now I have no problem doing a folded join.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it